Thursday, September 1, 2011

Now I Must Wait for TGS with More Anticipation

Since I'm tired of Vita Stock Pictures.

It was just recently said that Sony will be showing off 31 Vita games at TGS, not to mention some PS3 and PSP games as well in what I can only call a brilliant plot to destroy me completely and utterly from the wait.  Okay, not really, but the knowledge that A) there's going to be 31 Vita games shown off as well as B) More than half of them (18 out of 31) are 'Previously unannounced' games.  Now, I want to believe that we're going to see even more new IPs and new games and whatnot announced, but I know a few of them are going to be, and, well they just -have- to be, games that are already sort of 'announced' but not officially announced.  Things like anything with "(Working Title)" in them during previous teaser videos and the like.

Now, to fully predict and/or plot out what I figure these 18 games to be, I have to first post the list of 13 that are -going- to be shown at TGS.

  • Blazblue Continuum Shift Extend
  • Dynasty Warriors Next
  • Asphalt: Injection
  • The King, the Demon King, and the Seven Princesses: New Little King's Story
  • Mahjong Fight Club
  • Shinobido 2
  • Virtua Tennis 4
  • Uncharted: Golden Abyss
  • Gravity Daze
  • Hot Shots Golf Next
  • True Night of the Kamaitachi
  • Disgaea 3 Return
  • Ridge Racer

So, nothing we haven't really seen yet except True Night of the Kamaitachi that I...hadn't even heard of before now.  Excuse me a moment...Aha.  It seems to be a...really cool sounding murder-mystery game with multiplayer modes centered on racing to solve the case first.  Iiiiiiiiiinteresting.  Anyways, looking at that list, it's basically stuff we've seen already in the trailers and the like and/or have just been recently announced.  Mahjong Fight Club and Asphalt:  Injection don't ring any bells with me, but I'm not really about to go look them up right now.

So, I'm not really sure as to what I'm guessing will be there as an unannounced-but-you-know-about-it-already game and what will be new, but at the top of that list (and not because of my obsession) would be LittleBigPlanet Vita.  So far, it's had some real show-off time and some trailers, but I just can't help but think the final name isn't going to be "LittleBigPlanet Vita", so bringing it to TGS to show it off with a finalized name would be the time to do it.  But...I'm just not sure what that would be.  With only three main installments so similarly named (LittleBigPlanet, LittleBigPlanet 2, and LittleBigPlanet for PSP that is just called LittleBigPlanet) I'm just not sure what they could do to it except confuse it more by, again, just calling it LittleBigPlanet, calling it LittleBigPlanet Portable or by giving it a subtitle that will draw away from the name recognition.  But...after saying that, I guess I -could- see it being named "LittleBigPlanet Vita".

Resistance:  Burning Skies is mysteriously absent from the list, but given that it's already been announced, it can't be one of the 18 games.  (Unless unannounced simply means "We didn't put it in the Press Release")  However, Killzone, which we've seen a trailer for, hasn't been officially announced to my knowledge, so having that would only make sense to reinforce the, aherm, "Hardcore" line-up.  That's not said with any malice or anything of course, as I don't begrudge the games.  Just that my only exposure was a short-lived attempt at playing the first which...didn't go well, and the surprisingly decent, but still unfinished runthrough of Killzone:  Liberation on PSP.  Granted, different type of game entirely, but it was a proper entry into Killzone cannon, so it counts.


Following in the tracks of LittleBigPlanet as it always seems to, I don't believe ModNation Racers for Vita has been properly named either, so having that there with a final name and showing off more extensively with the track-making and the like seems like a good idea to give people the idea of just how easy it is.  I never really got into Modnation Racers since I played the Beta and...well, I just wasn't feeling anything beyond the creation aspect (then again, I don't generally like Racing Games) so I've sort of steered clear of news for it, but it's one of those things that just isn't 'for me' and as such, I'm not prepared to call it poor or anything.  But on the same note, Modnation Racers Vita is likely a miss for me, so I'm not about to get excited at the prospect of it being announced.

While there's other games I could throw out there, like the unannounced version of Mortal Kombat and the Bioshock game Ken Levine informally announced at E3, those are...well, pretty damn western and TGS is a Japan-centric event.  (Expecting the games I mentioned above might even be pushing it, especially with Killzone)  So if that's all I can figure on the what we know already, but aren't 'announced' yet games, what about the other 15 games (if I'm proven right).  The answer is largely, "Well, I don't friggin' know", but I do have some ideas.


Given that it is a Japan-centric event, as I mentioned above, and it's a Playstation anything, the first thing that comes to mind is Hideo Kojima.  Now, I would be willing to bet anything that he will be there to announce something, but the something is fairly up in the air at the moment.  He could just formally announce the Zone of the Enders HD Collection (And/or Metal Gear Solid HD Collection) for Vita, since the Collections will be utilizing 'Transfarring' and that mostly seems to mean "Moving saves from Console to Portable and vice-versa".  Given that we know this, but we don't know, officially, what capacity ZoE/MGS will be playable in on the Vita, some sort of announcement at TGS seems like the most prudent decision.

Still, I can't help but hope for a little more.  Give us something surprising, Kojima!  Announce a remastered Metal Gear Solid 1 for the Vita to complement the rest of the collection.  Bring back Snatcher.  (Note:  This won't happen)  Make Metal Gear Ac!d 3.  Do something that I can hear and then go "Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh" for hours and then post frantically about it here!  It will please me.

Given Squeenix's long-standing support of Sony's Platforms and general enjoyment of Handhelds in general, expecting an announcement from them for a Vita game is pretty much a guarantee.  Again, the what is a little difficult to pin down, since the possibilities are endless, but we can make a few broad guesses here.  Given that it's Squeenix, a port is the highest possibility here, perhaps of Final Fantasy Type-O or something older like Crisis Core which wouldn't exactly be unwelcome in either case.  Then again, something 'new' isn't out of the question, and in that case, I would guess something Dissidia related since, well, that's just what they're doing at the moment.

I'm sure there's likely more to be guessed at, but that's about all my brain can muster up at the moment.  Still, it's exciting to just think about what could be.

No comments:

Post a Comment