Monday, July 18, 2011

Capcom Hates You - Mega Man Legends 3 Canceled


Today, Capcom announced Mega Man Legends 3 development is being discontinued.  In a move that surprised no one, the company as a whole then went on to kick a few puppies between themselves and take candy from local babies.  (Note:  some of the previously mentioned activities are unconfirmed at this point.)  While it's not exactly surprising, given the recent shadiness about the project; namely the indefinite delaying of the prototype project entirely, and the fact that the game hadn't even technically been greenlit, on top of the fact that anything involving Mega Man Legends 3 had been recently removed from Capcom's website.

While I hadn't really had any personal attachment to the project, having not played either of the previous games (though I do loves me some Mega Man), and while I kind of saw this coming a mile away, I obviously derive no pleasure from this.  It's pretty much a dick move that I don't see what Capcom stands to gain from, so I can't even say they did it for the publicity.  And especially after all the fan-polls they conducted to decide this and that element for the game (New characters and Mega Man's overall look, I believe), it seems a bit premature to say the least.


In all honesty, I think the steam went out of the project when Capcom revealed they can't re-release Mega Man Legends on PSN as, if we know anything about Capcom, we know they like them some ports and remakes, so without that possibility to capitalize on MML3's release by reselling the games bring everyone into the Mega Man Legends universe at the same speed through all three games, profitability for the brand plummeted and they just really focused on figuring out how to get out of the project quietly.  I could be wrong, of course, and I may as well be, since we'll never know if I'm right, but I did have to at least try and offer something beyond soul-crushing disappointment.

Reasoning doesn't cushion it at all, of course, and this isn't even one of the times I can say "I don't like it, but I get it", because I honestly don't.  It's honestly hard to say where Capcom's going from here, but it's likely going to be a rough few months from here on while they deal with the fallout from all this.  I am interested, however, in seeing if this will impact anyone's perception of the 3DS or any other 3DS projects at all.  Doesn't seem like it would, but I do know of people who've claimed they only bought a 3DS for a scant few reasons at this point; Mega Man Legends 3 being chief among them.

No comments:

Post a Comment