Tuesday, July 19, 2011

LittleBigThings: I Think Sony Likes It Too


Mostly because they keep acquiring the developers involved with the games.  Last year, Media Molecule became a Sony First-Party Studio, and now Double-Eleven has signed an exclusive deal with Sony, ensuring they'll be around to fuel the Vita on (and possibly do something for PS3, if they so choose) for quite some time.  While not being wholly bought like MM, this is still something to ensure Double-Eleven will be around to show some support to the LittleBigPlanet franchise.  I couldn't be happier, of course, since this means my addiction will be fueled one way or another.

I admit, I was a bit worried when I heard Media Molecule is 'taking a break' from LBP, since, even though it is well-deserved, it means at worst, no LBP game for a while or another, possibly-unfamiliar studio mucking about with it.  Though, for whatever reason, Double-Eleven inspires confidence in me; confidence that I will decide whether or not it's placed well when I have LittleBigPlanet Vita in my hands.  From the looks of the game so far, however, I'm not seeing a whole lot wrong.  I don't even really know how you can muck up the game!


....Aside from doing what LittleBigPlanet PSP did, by cutting out the Multi-player, dropping out of post-release support early, taking major short-cuts with the design tool, and hampering the gameplay by taking out three whole layers of play.  (Two 'thin' layers and a 'walking' layer, I believe.  Possibly only one 'thin' layer.)  But even then, LittleBigPlanet PSP was fun!  Somewhat forgettable and frustrating at times, but fun nonetheless.  I'll have to dig it out again sometime and do a run through some more of the levels, see if I can't pick up the last bit of those items, since, without multi-player, the only obstacle in getting them is finesse which I appreciate greatly.

I should clarify before I end the post:  LittleBigPlanet PSP was quite wonderful, and I enjoyed my romp around with it.  Anyone who was eying it as one of their Welcome Back freebies was doing themselves a service; doubly-so if they got it.  But we all know that we quickly become spoiled with things, so when said things are missing, we tend to get a more harsh view of the overall product.  So when I couldn't sit down with LittleBigPlanet PSP's creator and make something with the ease of use as the PS3 version, I did get a bit put-off.  And some of the platforming levels are, quite frankly, balls-out difficult to Ace, to the point where I'm not sure I'm capable of doing so.  However, the charm was there and that's more or less what you want from a LittleBigPlanet game so, more or less, they accomplished their goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment