So the PSP2 is a thing that is happening. Eventually. Tonight's meeting was little more than to show it off and give everyone a little idea of what -could- be on it; much like Nintendo's E3 3DS reveal (except there were one or two actual 3DS games shown on it, Kid Icarus is all I can think of). What you see above is the PSP2, codenamed NGP (for Next Generation Portable) with an actual name forth-coming. Also, price forth-coming.
So, what all did everyone get right?
- Less broad but more high than the original PSP (PSP dimensions: 17X7.4X2.3 cm) - More or less, yep
- 5" OLED multi-touch screen (12.7 cm) - Yep
- Multi-touch trackpad - Yes?
- Resolution: 960 x 544 - Yes, surprisingly (At least, if this is 4x of the PSP)
- Quad core ARM Cortex A-9 - No Mention Update: Looks like it.
- PowerVR SGX 543 MP4+ - No Mention
- 512MB LPDDR2 RAM (1GB devkits) - No Mention
- 16GB flash + SD slot - There's a stick slot, no data storage mention
- Wifi, 3G, bluetooth - Yep
- Acelerometers, GPS, gyroscope, front and back camera - Yes
- November 2011 - "Holiday this year"
What else? Here's the full-list of features shamelessly stolen from here.
- 5 inch OLED – 4x the resolution of the current PSP
- 3G plus WiFI
- Sixaxis Motion Sensing
- Electronic Compass
- Front and Rear Camera
- Dual Analog Sticks (Not Nubs)
- Flash Memory – memory sticks instead of UMD – like DS carts
- PS3 quality graphics
- Touch Front Screen
- Touch Pad on Back
- Augmented Reality Games
- Coming this Holiday Season
- will include a new service called LiveArea which will keep you upto date with news on all your games.
- LiveArea will let you see what others are playing in your area - this will be extremely popular in Japan and huge Metropolis cities like Toronto, Vancouver, San Francisco, etc...
- Trophy Support
- Will be able to connect to Mobile Networks
- Augmentation will allow you more control on your games. As you move, you affect the game you’re playing: shown in action during Uncharted and Hot Shots Golf Previews
- PlayStation Suite (revealed earlier) will work with NGP
- PSP games currently available for download WILL work with new unit.
Also, they showed off Yakuza: Of the End on the thing. All of my money.
Update: Here is a chart. It is full of Chart-y goodness.
And here are the games they showed off on it, though they were just demos and proof-of-concepts and the like.
* Monster Hunter 3rd* Hot Shots Golf
* Lost Planet 2
* Dynasty Warriors
* Metal Gear Solid 4
* Call of Duty
* Dungeon Defenders - an upcoming PS3 game by Epic