Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Assassin's Creed 3 DLC Single-Handedly Interests Me in AC3


I'm gonna be honest, here, and I think I've mentioned it before, but Assassin's Creed is a kind of weird series for me.  I'm attached to it because the original game was the first game I ever played on a PS3 and for that, it was an amazing thing that I'll never forget.  But I suspect that if I'd never had that single moment, if my first PS3 game had been something else, I wouldn't be nearly as invested in Assassin's Creed as a series and I probably would have quit at the first one whenever I got around to playing it.  Or the second one for sure since, as I've stated before, I was not really a fan of at all.  But if I hadn't played the second one, I would've missed out on AssBro, which you might remember I actually kind of liked, or at least I liked it more than AC2 proper.  So for all that, Assassin's Creed 3 has always been a "I'll buy it when I want to, I guess" title because that's what the three games before it has been (I only own AssRev because I happened to be in Best Buy when they were selling it for $10) and they've instilled no greater loyalty into me at all.

Even with today's news, Assassin's Creed 3 remains in that category, but I'll be damned if it didn't get that much harder to leave it there.  Today's news, which explains the (rather badass-looking) header image of the post is that the first-bit of Assassin's Creed 3's DLC will be 'The Tyranny of King Washington' a sort of "what-if" scenario that details just how things might have turned out if things went weird at the end of the Revolution in AC's own framing.  As in, AC3's telling is already a little skewed by virtue of it being a game with Assassins that probably didn't ever exist in it, and then they're going to top that by creating an entire "This -really- didn't happen, like not even in AC Canon, but wouldn't that be sweet if it did" scenario.  I'm not going to insult your intelligence with a "taking liberties" joke, but let it be known that I really could have even though I was not at all tempted to do so.  Just putting that out there.

Anyways, I am decidedly in the camp of folks saying Hell yeah that sounds awesome, because it might just end with you shanking Tyrant King Washington and that is pretty much the only way you're ever going to one-up fistfighting the goddamn Pope I should think.  (It's been long enough, and I think it's already kind of widely -out there- to be able to mention it without detailing specifics)  I mean, that is pretty much all we know about the DLC is that it involves George Washington going on a power trip and declaring himself King of America after, presumably the entire game or a good part of it when he and Connor have grown to be friends.  This will probably put them at odds and, throughout the DLC, the ultimate goal would probably be built up to shanking the dude for it.  You know it, I know it, and absolutely nothing is lost from knowing it because it'll be the build and the payoff that -really- makes it.  You don't have to -not- know everything to make it awesome, after all.

The DLC itself will be three episodes unto itself, probably one of the actual event happening -aka Shit going down-, one being the aftermath where stuff gets kind of finnicky and the last one where the 'plan' to get to Washington really starts coming together and eventually happens.  While I wouldn't expect it to be like three of the middle episodes-long, I'm also not figuring on them being tiny either, so it should make for a decent chunk of playtime on its own which is a good thing.  The DLC is -also- pretty much what Ubisoft is pinning its hopes on to bait people into getting the 'Season Pass' for AC3's DLC since it's included in it for $30.  (I assume on its own, it'll be....you know, cheaper than that)  Also included in the 'Season Pass' is some MP DLC or something, but nobody really cares about that.  I should hope that if they decide to have another fairly major Single-Player DLC that it's included as well, but I wouldn't put quite anything past Ubisoft on that front.

That alone, the Season Pass business, is pretty much why I'm going to be steering clear of AC3 until next year.  I want to see what all comes out for it and if they'll end up doing a "Game of the Year" deal with the game and all the DLC ala Bethesda GotY editions, because I'd be happy to pick that up.  Because I -will- get the George Washington DLC, you see, unless the internet tells me it's approximately five minutes long and was all a dream of a dream.  I'm 97% convinced that that won't happen, you see, but you have to leave your options open for this type of thing because they will -always- surprise you when you don't suspect they will.  They're tricky like that.  Though now I am slightly wondering about Assassin's Creed:  Liberation.  Will we see any DLC announcements for that as well, or are we basically figuring that Ubisoft is throwing it out into the wild and will never say anything about it again unless it manages to sell decently which, honestly, it probably should.  Since it looks like a pretty good game and such.  I suppose if I don't hear wind of any DLC business, I might just buy it up when it comes out to find out for myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment