Friday, August 3, 2012

So We Kind of Have An Updated PASBR Roster


It was not that long ago when there was a little-reported leak from the Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale Private Beta, in which some code was pulled out that revealed eleven characters (some of which were already revealed) as playable characters, as well as showing off some stages in a very, very basic way.  From what I can tell, some of them might be just concepts, where some are a little more detailed and might be used for the Stage Select images.  At the time, I considered writing about it, but being just a leak (that was likely true, I mean, just look at the images through the links) meant that I wasn't going to give it a whole lot of weight and was instead just looking for other stuff.  On top of that, I just don't know how I feel about the game yet; I mean, I -like- it in concept alone, and I am a giant fan of Sony First Party games, but I feel like I can't get excited about it because the rest of the internet (or at least the places I frequent) just want to prattle on and on about how terrible it looks and circlejerk about Super Smash Brothers instead.  I find myself on the other end of "I like this, but it is apparently terrible if you listen to the people who yell loudest on the internet" deals quite often, and it just gets tiresome which is not something I care to deal with at the moment.

Now, the reason I bring it up, however, is because the leak has....almost very quietly been acknowledged to the point of "It's basically confirmed", which surprises me, really.  The statement from a Playstation Blog post,

"In addition, there was an unexpected and unintended leak in our beta that allowed fans to be able to see some additional content. We’ve enjoyed reading all of the fan reaction and are thrilled that so many of you are excited to learn more about our character roster and level mash-ups, however we are still in development and the leaked content does not fully represent the final product nor the incredible efforts that were made to make these elements truly spectacular.

basically cements that what was seen is going to be in the game in -some- fashion (with 90% of the characters, I'm sure, simply being playable characters, but I have a few theories on a couple that comprise the 10% that I'll get into in a moment.)  So, with it being in that realm, I figured it was a good opportunity to point out just what the leak has promised, so I can sort of discuss the 'picks' as it were.  So as to not drag this out too much, I'll just go ahead and post the list from the above Joystiq link to get into it a little more:

  • Dante from DmC: Devil May Cry
  • Cole McGrath from the inFamous series
  • Ratchet from the Ratchet & Clank series
  • Raiden from the Metal Gear Solid series
  • Sackboy from the LittleBigPlanet games
  • Sir Daniel Fortesque from MediEvil
  • Heihachi Mishima from the Tekken series
  • Toro, PlayStation marketing icon in Japan
  • Nariko from Heavenly Sword
  • Jak from the Jak & Daxter series
  • Spike from the Ape Escape games

The basic conjecture you can draw from this is that these characters are going to be in the game proper, as Colonel Radec, Fat Princess, Nathan Drake, Kratos, Parappa The Rapper, Sweet Tooth, Big Daddy and Sly Cooper are.  Of the list, however, are a few characters that have already been confirmed, like Cole McGrath (Hero version at least, more on that), Heihachi, Toro and Jak (with Daxter).  However, there are a few little special cases that need to be mentioned specifically.  First off is that Cole has only been shown off in the Hero version - all blue-white outfit, pristine, etc. - but the pictures offered a headshot of Evil Cole very clearly, which begs to wonder just how that will work.  Will he be an alternate character with a different moveset, or will it just be a matter of 'Costume' change, where it'll affect the color of the lightning and, obviously, his costume, but not much else?  It almost feels like  waste, I should say, to have two slots dedicated to Cole, no matter how much I like the character.  Still, he's very obviously there, and I can only assume that one version means the other will be in in some capacity.

Similarly of note is that, as stated, the Dante included is the one from the reboot, ala the one seemingly nobody cares for.  Regardless of that or not, it's not....really that Dante that built up the Playstation brand at all, but the original, silver-haired Dante that apparently was born out of talking about making Resident Evil 4.  This begs to wonder if DmC Dante is the only Dante we get or if we'll get to switch to the one we're all a little more accustomed to seeing; the one that more people seem to enjoy if nothing else.  It's not a big deal for me personally, of course, but I'm just looking at the bigger picture.  Which involves doing things that don't give ammo to the jackasses out there who will parrot off how much the game sucks whether or not there's anything resembling a grain of truth to it.  Or, well, it probably doesn't, but it's not quite as -easy- and you know what, I'll just stop there because you know what I mean.

Still, the rest of the list is pretty acceptable, I think.  Some old school representation with Sir Daniel and Spike, a little more new school but not done all the time with Nariko and arguably Sackboy, and then the rest are pretty stable in their own rights and were mostly guarantees.  Maybe not Heihachi, but this wouldn't be the first time he's on Team Playstation for a Fighting game after all, consider he was the Representative in Soul Calibur 2 way way back.  Still nobody from my predictions but that's not exactly surprising, except possibly that Crash hasn't been announced yet.  It's probably not -easy- negotiating with Activision over having him in, sure, but I don't see them keeping him (or Spyro) out of the game entirely.  I have also heard rumors that I can't source whatsoever that Lightning, not Cloud, might be the Final Fantasy representative which....again wouldn't surprise me.  Would disappoint me certainly however, given the, uh....'controversy' around Final Fantasy 13 where being "Playstation Brand" might come up.  Not that Cloud's game was -only- on Playstation, but it was certainly most notably on it.  Still, there's plenty of time before the game is announced, and new characters will officially be revealed at Gamescom, whenever that is.  Hopefully they won't only announced characters that have been leaked.  And hopefully the Gravity Rush stage is an indication that Kat is going to be one of the fighters in the game.  Time will tell!

No comments:

Post a Comment