Friday, December 23, 2011

Tokyo Jungle......What?


As gamers, we sometimes take a look at something completely different and unique (which aren't mutually inclusive) and generally those things are looked upon favorably if just for not being 'yet another (genre) game', as we often express disinterest in.    Just one of those things we (we as a broad, general term, obviously not indicative of us all) think we know better about and may or may not be correct about.  (Specifically 'trends'.)  Sometimes deservedly so, sometimes not, but that's a whole other conversation all together.  And I'm going to admit that this isn't the first time I've heard of Tokyo Jungle, but it's the first time I've taken a look at it, at least in a trailer and I'm going to be completely honest with you here:  I don't even know what the fuck.

I mean, its concept is pretty obvious from everything it's shown so far:  Civilization as we know it is gone and nature is taking over in our stead.  Nary a human in sight means the animals roam free and take to the natural order in unfamiliar environs to just try and get by.  Which is, by all means, a pretty neat concept for a video game and is genuinely interesting; so much so that if/when Tokyo Jungle comes out over here I would be willing to take a look at it, much as I have said I would be interested in getting my hands on Afrika at some point.  Of course, the games are worlds apart, but are generally 'different' games with a main cast starring completely of animals, hence the loose comparison.  Since I'm not really all that sure what else it -could- be compared to without knowing more.

However, for as cool as the concept is, I don't know just what to think of this trailer.  For one the graphics, and this is coming from someone who doesn't really care a lot about graphics, are horrible.  I mean, even in 720p, the textures and models range from only 'decent' to 'what the -hell-', which is really unfortunate.  I mean, I guess I should understand given that this is a niche game even by niche standards, but at the same time it just looks poor and doesn't give a good opinion of the game, given that we only have looks to judge by.  I can't even suggest that the game is still in an alpha build since, until just recently, it was slated for release in 2011.  I mean, even in that trailer right there it says '2011'.  Of course the official site has since changed the date to '2012' because, and I'm just guessing on this, the game hasn't gone gold yet which means releasing in the next, uh, week is not going to happen.

Of course, that's not the only thing that's a bit wonked in the trailer, which I'm sure you noticed well enough on your own.  I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that maybe, just maybe, the tone of the game isn't going to be as entirely serious as you might think on premise alone.  Throughout the entirety of the gameplay trailer you see:  a dog dressed in....uhh....I don't know what that is, specifically, something with a giant rope and robes, a hyena wearing a hardhat, PANDA COMBAT, a dog mounting another dog, a kangaroo punching a tiger, and dogs(again, this game must really like dogs) fighting a hippo (and winning).  Which for some reason, for me, doesn't really tickle my "so absurd it's awesome" senses so much as it just bewilders me.  If I didn't know better, I'd swear the folks behind the Disaster Report games were behind this as their not-always-spectacular graphics, yet insanely-attractive ideas (with equally insane execution) is a very particular brand of crazy that seems to intersect with this game based on what I have before me.

Regardless, this is a thing that obviously exists, though in what fashion is quite unsure for now.  Being that it was announced in 2010 and looks like this in the year it was supposed to release doesn't instill one with a lot of confidence.  However, as we all know, games should not be judged by graphics alone and this has the potential for being something special if only on merit of being so out there.  Animals in a large, broken-down version of our world is a sight worth it to see as is, and if things get silly on top of that, then perhaps it's all the better.  Hopefully they tighten it up a bit before they announce an actual release date, though, as I'm looking forward to this, albeit a little reluctantly.

2 comments:

  1. If this isn't a PSN-only title the world will cease to make sense and I will suffer a permanent mental break from reality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess that is a possibility, but looking at the site image, I don't see a PSN logo on it, which....isn't that usually on images for PSN-only games?

    Personally, I'd be surprised if they know how they're releasing it at this point.

    ReplyDelete