Tuesday, February 21, 2012

This is Better/Worse Than Christmas Eve


I've frantically searched for hours now for something to write about while also waiting for the Playstation Store to update so I can take care of that over at Penny Arcade, but no matter what I do, everything just comes back around to the Vita.  After hearing about Persona 4 Arena getting localized (Also known as that fighting game with a long name and Persona 3/4 characters), all I could think about was Persona 4:  The Golden, which has a (Japanese) release date as well of June 14th.  I don't know how long the localization will take but I do know that, despite opening a pristine copy of Persona 4 on PS2, I will more than likely buy this to actually play it after playing Persona 3 in some form or fashion.  Even after being pointed towards The Penny Arcade Report as an idea for something to write about, all I could do was zero in on the praise-filled Vita post that is apparently 'obviously' shill work since there's no way anyone respectable could actually, genuinely like the Vita and then write about it.

Vita Vita Vita.  It's just always back to that, and it's exactly like Christmas Eve when you know what you're getting, but haven't gotten to play with it just yet.  Unwrapping it is simply replaced by driving to GameStop, walking in, apologizing for paying with eight cards (seven gift cards from Christmas and such and my credit card for the remainder and tax) and leaving.  This will all be 11 hours from now, give or take.  Then you factor in getting home, charging it for the first time and such, and it likely won't be til the mid-afternoon or evening til I start playing with it, but when I do, it's going to be the best feeling.  I could not be more excited for this and, honestly, I think that's indicative of just how amazing this business can be sometimes, when it can instill this level of passion and excitement by merely existing.  Since that's what the most of it is, really; this is becoming more and more of a reality with every passing hour and this thing that I have been excited about for over a year will be a thing in my hands existing.  A physical, tangible thing that I can then play with to my hearts content as I've wanted to do for months.

It would be hilarious, utterly, utterly hilarious if I just don't know what the hell to do with it when it's primed and ready.  I know it's not going to happen, since the first thing I'll likely do is play around in Welcome Park just to see what that's been about, as well as to get used to the extra features and from there, it'll be a toss-up between playing Dynasty Warriors Next and Uncharted:  Golden Abyss which, despite the great reviews it's getting, I think I'll sideline Uncharted in favor of DW since Uncharted is something I want to savor, whereas I'm simply jonesing for an excuse to slaughter poorly trained soldiers by the thousands and have been since I stopped playing Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3.  It's just a thing that's in me now and I -have- to do it, you know?  Just as a shark has to keep making analogies I have to keep buying games that allow me to depopulate entire countries in a single series of battles.  And playing them.  Playing them like my life itself depends on it.

I would like to use the chance to test out the PSP compatibility with Final Fantasy Tactics:  War of the Lions (despite the fact that I will have to pay another $10 for it which I'm not too fussed about) since my copy of Phantasy Star Portable 2 won't work on the thing just yet (which I -am- fussed about, come on Sega).  Indeed, there's been a rather short list of games (comprising of 12 total that I know about) that won't work on the Vita and Phantasy Star Portable 1, 2 and 2 Infinity (which we never even got, damnit) are on it.  Speculation says that it might be because of the Online Pass dealie that I don't even remember dealing with for Phantasy Star Portable 2, but looking a couple of the other titles on the list (namely Modnation Racers and Patapon 3), I wouldn't be surprised if that didn't have something to do with it.  Though not all to do, since Resistance:  Retribution and Metal Gear Solid:  Portable Ops don't really have any multiplayer to count that I know of, yet they won't work just yet.  It'll get sorted out, hopefully, but if not, I always have my....fairly broken PSP.  ....Eh.  It'll work out somehow.

But I think to start, I'm just going to veg out with Dynasty Warriors for a few hours and then, likely while having it charge, I'll play around with the browser and look about for images to start decorating with.  The fact that you can customize not only the backgrounds of every page of Apps you have, but the screen that greets you when you turn the system on is magical to me and will definitely be something I make use of.  That was a worry I actually had and I'm rather impressed that the Vita handles it and handles it quite as well as it does, since you can have as many or as few apps on a page and shuffle them about so you get the best view of your image as possible.  It's things like that, those little touches, combined with the actuality of the device being a really powerful handheld device, that has me this pumped, which I haven't been quite so since I first started imagining the game I'm setting up (that I haven't forgotten about).  It's a rare feeling, but it's a good one.

I don't know how I'm going to sleep tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment