Monday, April 25, 2011

Welp, That Tastes Like Egg on my Face.

So, remember that time when I was vehement in my assertion that I didn't think a new Nintendo Console was in-bound (More because of the rumors about the power), but then open to the possibilities the rumors created?  Well, now it's time for us to see about those rumors, since Nintendo wants to make me look like a dick.  (Not really.)
To whom it may concern:

Re: Wii's successor system

Nintendo Co., Ltd. has decided to launch in 2012 a system to succeed Wii, which the company has sold 86.01 million units on a consolidated shipment basis between its launch in 2006 and the end of March 2011.

We will show a playable model of the new system and announce more specifications at the E3 Expo, which will be held June 7-9, 2011, in Los Angeles.

Sales of this new system have not been included in the financial forecasts announced today for the fiscal term ending March 2012.
So, now we know that this is a thing that is happening.  But still, I haven't been proven completely wrong on my assertions, as nothing aside from the codename and the release window has been put out there.  Still, after being so wrong on the very idea that they'd put out a console so close to their new portable, it's hard telling what else I'm wrong about.  But I'm totally prepared to say that I was wrong here, since I'm assuredly excited by the prospects if every rumor is true.

As for why I didn't think they'd release the Next Console so close to the 3DS, that much is obvious, but now that, well, we know it's happening, I'm going to figure the reason why is because of a planned parity between the two things.  Sort of like the GameCube and Game Boy Advance, which were both released in the same year.  As we know, certain games had connectivity things between their portable and console versions (The Harvest Moon games are all that come to mind), not to mention the Multiplayer aspect having Four Swords Adventure and friends with GBAs offered.  (I believe this was with a few other games as well.  I skipped a lot of GameCube and GBA stuff, unfortunately and quick research isn't paying very nice dividends.)

The idea that this new controller for the new console is going to have a screen, motion sensors and, well, buttons, lends itself well to the theory that 3DS units will possibly be able to have the almost exact same function with this new Console, if not something more advanced.  In fact, I'd really put a lot of weight behind the idea that there's going to be a lot of inter-connectivity, which, as far as I'm concerned, is a good thing.  I like it in all the ways it's been done with the PS3/PSP, even though some of them have been, well, fairly minimal, so it's a proven concept as far as I think.

Time will tell, I guess.  E3 can't come fast enough, now.

No comments:

Post a Comment