Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Nintendo Spoiling All of the E3 News



Yeah, yeah, so it's not -all- of the E3 news, but Nintendo has officially outed two of their own announcements, which, if you think about it is a good chunk of an E3 presentation.  These two things, especially, would probably be 'big things' for Nintendo to spring (though one isn't a surprise at the least), which would have, in turn, made the presentation seem better.  I guess they're hoping on people to be excited for specific things going in, rather than hoping their 'surprises' will earn a lot of good will.  Or...I'm just overexamining things.  Which is entirely likely since I do that a lot, which is something you all know about quite well.  Regardless, I think two announcements like this is a big enough deal to talk about it for a bit even if I don't...personally care about the contents all that much.

Unsurprisingly, the first announcement was the existence of a Mario Game for the Wii U that they're planning on showing off at E3.  Now the particularly 'big' news about this is that the game will be based on the Super Mario Bros Wii - Mii Edition game that was showed off last year.  Which is apparently what is in the above picture and....doesn't look exactly thrilling to say the least.  I'm sure the end product will end up being something to possibly hold a little excitement for, I feel like until it's out and played, it will just be known as "New Super Mario Bros. Wii with Miis", indicating that they think of it not as a finished game, but as a game that is directly linked to another game as a sort of 'cash-in' attempt or something.  Luckily, this would be the first time that a Nintendo IP would be used in such a fash-...

Hrm.

Anyways, for my part, I played about five minutes of New Super Mario Bros. Wii and absolutely hated the physics used in it.  I then embraced the hilarious irony that this game was likely touted for those controls and those physics by the very same people who would bash LittleBigPlanet and its ilk as 'too floaty' or 'sloppy'.  I'm pretty sure that it's well known that the controls in NSMBW are -not- spot-on or even close, because that's part of the, er, fun of it, since it caters to the 'party' aspect of it.  The griefing that can be had with said physics in Multiplayer is likely legendary, those I would suggest partly so because it's just, well, poor unfortunately.  Regardless, that's just my opinion and it has been quite a while since I played it.  I'll just have to fall back on the ol' 'Different Strokes for Different Folks' so as to not make it seem like my word is law or anything regarding this.  Because it certainly isn't, as it's not even popular opinionWhatevs.


The next and undoubtedly much more interesting news is that another one of the E3 reveals will be A New Pikmin Game that has been long, long, long-awaited.  Of course, there aren't a whole lot of details beyond "We're doing it" and "People who loved Pikmin games will enjoy this", presumably meaning that it will, you know, be Pikmin 3 and thusly a continuation of the franchise in much the same way as the previous two games played.  It's going to play like a Pikmin game, is kind of where I was going with that, but that's mostly conjecture on my part.  If past reports are to be believed, this will, as well as the game above, be shown off as a Wii U game and, if Nintendo really wants to sweeten the pot, they'll announce it as a launch title as well.  So they can build up a really good launch and people can then say that a good launch line-up always makes a good system while continuing to ignore the Vita because.

Unfortunately, I don't know a whole lot about Pikmin as a series as it was one of those things that I ignored by virtue of not owning a GameCube and not caring about Wii games beyond a few non-Nintendo franchises.  (Also Animal Crossing)  I guess the thing of it was using armies of little creatures to gather parts of your crashed ship to return it so you could fix it and leave?  Every Pikmin seems to have a different element it's good with which makes party management of them crucial and adds a strategy element to the game as well.  Of course, this is all from cursory glances towards the game, so I could be well off on the concept, but that is what it seems like to someone who's just looking at the series quickly.

A Pikmin 3 has been something that I'm sure a lot of people have wanted, and I think I remember some clamoring about it last year, what with Kid Icarus finally being revamped and all.  So with any luck, this will be the game that those people want, the true threequel to the Pikmin franchise which has been fairly ignored to this point.  And...with any luck the Super Mario Bros. Mii game will be good as well.  Better than New Super Mario Bros. Wii, at least, hopefully, even though I doubt anyone will care if it's not.  But with two E3 announcements down, I have to wonder if there's going to be any other announcements to stem the leaks, or if we'll just get the usual exciting E3 fare.  Personally?  I'm hoping for the latter because it is just so much more fun that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment