Thursday, October 6, 2011

Final Fantasy Tactics Update 0: How I Will Update My Progress


I've dipped my toes into War of the Lions in the past couple days and, while I don't have a lot of headway made, I do have some, so I have been trying to think about how I can broadcast that here.  Text is, unfortunately, my only possible means of conveyance, so how I go about it is crucial; I can't do a lot, really, but I figure the least I can do is offer the updated stats of everyone involved, how/why they have what they have, and possibly relay any stories of interest they come across.  As such, I'm going to be keeping notes of what happens every battle I fight in, who killed who, healed who, etc. and will figure out some manner of making that entertaining here.

I'm sure it's not really something that interests everybody, and it's not like it's going to be "Let's Play:  Final Fantasy Tactics - Text Adventure Version", since I'd rather not spoil the story aside from bits where it's nearly impossible to do so (or it's vital to do so, in one important case), but I always feel something of an element of -real- adventure when playing FFT, which is something I don't get from a lot of other games, so I really kind of want to share that feeling somehow.  And since I was so much a fan of how I got to do the last FFT post, I imagine that format will be used heavily with some variation to highlight each member of the team.

The irony of typing this all out might be that I may have discovered what keeps me from finishing Final Fantasy Tactics whenever I play it, and it might be a very egregious error.  With all the emphasis I've been putting on the characters, it wouldn't surprise me to surmise that I get it in my head that the 'goal' of playing FFT is making the team I want, which would make that the end-point.  Which it obviously isn't.  And while I can't simply state that the goal is to beat the game, I can try to force it by making a bet on who's going to get the finishing blow on the final boss.  We'll just have to see!  With this update deal and that new idea in mind, that should hopefully be enough to take down this new White Whale.

With that said, this is update Zero in that all I'm really doing is stating the mission plan and giving the bare-est bones type of update as possible.  Everybody (but Haplo) is a Knight.  Haplo is a Black Mage.  That is all.  I could get into the finer details by going on about how Sakura has actually (thankfully) resisted the charms of a Thief already, Haplo has killed a panther by hitting it in the head with a rock from a few squares away and everybody (including my main character) has fallen in battle at least once because god-damn- if the first few random encounters before you really get a power base aren't hard as hell.  I could.  But, until I really get the delivery for that solid (and because I don't have all the details at the moment), I'd actually prefer to leave this as it is.  Basically just saying I started the game, I'm going to update the progression here character-by-character in a vein similar to the introduction of this 'challenge', if you will, and that it's going to be fun.

Because it will totally be fun. ....Once I finally get some damn abilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment