Thursday, June 16, 2011

A Few Words on Yakuza: Of the End


So, Yakuza:  Of the End, for those unaware, is the Yakuza game unlike any other Yakuza game in more ways than one.  Sure, it features main characters from the rest of the series and though it's not the first game in the franchise to feature more than one playable character, it's the first game to let you play as Goro Majima, which as far as I'm concerned is a gigantic bullet point in its favor.  It's fairly clear as what differentiates it from the rest, however, if the zombie invasion wasn't clearly out-of-place enough.  And while you can shoot guns in other Yakuza games, Of the End features primarily gunplay.

Which is all well and good, and despite all the 'olol shooters' things going around, the game will likely never see American shores because Sega hates all of us individually.  We know this and it sucks, yes, but it's also a little understandable.  Even though it's selling just a little under the norm for a Yakuza game in Japan, I'm sure it'll grow to be fine over there and do well, money-wise.  Which means there would be little problems in actually bringing it over here, but they just won't because fuck you.


Anyways, what I wanted to say about the game is that, despite the fact that it's a shooter, rather than a brawler (Actually, more like an RE clone, which makes me even more 'bleh' about it since I couldn't stand RE4 and never played RE5) it really looks like something the Yakuza team is going all out for; I mean, they completely remodeled the city they've crafted lovingly through four different games that has received quite a few changes here and there, but nothing on the level of the all-out destruction Of the End offers.  I imagine the same charm with the plot and dialogue is there, and the extras certainly haven't been ignored, either.


I would like to state for the record that the above is Goro Majima wearing a Pirate costume, using some sort of shotgun to level a group of zombies in destroyed Japan.

Yeah.

(Please Sega, give me give me give me, I'll take back all the bad things I say about you.)

No comments:

Post a Comment